Warm honey and cinnamon drink to relief cold symptoms / 蜂蜜肉桂來減緩感冒的症狀
April 15, 2012 § 2 Comments
If you do a quick search on Google by typing “honey + cinnamon”, you’d get a whole list of results telling you how incredible this simple home remedy is!! Well, personally I cannot validate its effectiveness on heart disease, toothache or pimples etc; but I can say that it does help with alleviating cold symptoms!!
Honey has been extremely valued because of its nutritional and healing properties. It is a natural product with beneficial effects, where the application dates back for many centuries. According to TCM, honey is able to release excess internal heat and dryness in our body, as well as the function to relieve pain and soothe our respiratory system. A lot of TCM prescriptions and pills require the addition of honey to strengthen its effectiveness. Just to note that honey isn’t suitable for infants less than 12 months old because their immune systems are still weak!!
Cinnamon is also a common ingredient in TCM prescriptions. It is said to help restore internal heat and Yang energy in the human body, as well as the ability to reduce coldness and pain. This is best for people who often ‘feel cold’ especially when the climate is warm.
I use this type of drink as a nourishing method rather than seeing it as a type of medication. As mentioned in the topic, it is to relief cold symptoms as both ingredients have the ability to ease pain. On top of that, it helps calming on the throat if I cough too much and to maintain my body temperature to keep me warm. This is not a magical elixir that cures colds faster, in saying that, I’d suggest you also drink lots of warm lemon water to boost your Vitamin C while are you sick.
How to make the drink
- There’s no definite measurement for me, but I normally use 1/3 teaspoon of cinnamon powder with a tablespoon of honey.
- The key thing is to mix the cinnamon powder first with a bit of water to make a paste in the cup. It is because the granule of cinnamon powder is too fine, so it will only float on the surface of water and won’t mix well if you add in honey later.
- Fill 8/10 of the cup with warm to hot water (not exceeding the temperature of 40°C so you do not destroy to valuable nutrients from the honey) and honey to mix well with the cinnamon paste.
Caution: This drink would not suit those who constantly gets diarrhoea, because of honey. Pregnant women should also avoid cinnamon as it is a blood-circulating stimulant.
° ◦╰ ◦ ° ◦ ╮ღ╭ ◦ ° ◦ ╯◦ °
- 我其實沒有絕對的配量，不過一般說來我都是用 1/3 茶匙的肉桂粉加上一大匙的蜂蜜。
- 杯子之後再加入熱水至八分滿（水溫不要超過 40°C 以免太熱就會破壞蜂蜜的營養素），之後再放入蜂蜜好好攪拌就成啦！